History was made as Lewis Hamilton secured his 100th F1 win!
This weekend in motorsport , F1 took over the amazing Sochi Autodrom, Russia.
Lando Norris who qualified in pole position, seemed destined to win his first F1, but the rain halted the McLaren drivers’ chances. He lead for the majority of the race but spun out with only 2 laps to go!
Lewis Hamilton made a clever switch to intermediate tyres late in the race, which saw the reigning champ come from +28s back to overtake Norris after he spun out.
Hamilton’s win in Russia gave the Brit his 100th Grand Prix win, becoming the first driver in history to do so.
Dutch wonder Max Verstappen came from P20 to finish in P2 with a superb driving display. Ferrari’s driver Carlos Sainz Jr finished in P3, after qualifying and spending most of the race in P2.
Hamilton’s win puts the 100 GP winner in first position with 246.5 points, with Verstappen close behind with 244.5 points. Valtteri Bottas finished off the top 3 with 151 points.
Results are as follows:
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:30:41.001
- Max Verstappen Red Bull +53.271
- Carlos Sainz Jr. Ferrari +62.475
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +65.607
- Valtteri Bottas Mercedes +67.533
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +81.321
- Lando Norris McLaren +87.224
- Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo +88.955
- Sergio Perez Red Bull +90.076
- George Russell Williams +100.551
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +106.198
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +1 Lap
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1 Lap
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +1 Lap
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +1 Lap
- Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo +1 Lap
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1 Lap
- Nikita Mazepin Haas +2 Laps
- Nicholas Latifi Williams Retired
- Mick Schumacher Haas Retired
After a long wait, MXGP and the MXon was ready to ride!
David Goosen, Tristan Purdan and Camden Mc Lellan set off to Italy, flying the South African flag high at the most prestigious motocross event of the year.
MX2 qualifying saw Camden take P6 going into the final.
After a great finish in qualifying and starting the race well, Camden unfortunately crashed out. The damage to his bike forced him to leave the race.
During qualifying David Goosen had a fantastic start out of the gate, lying 3rd after the first turn. Constant pressure from a stacked field saw David slide down the leaderboard to 15th. After a small crash David ended qualifying in P20.
Race day turned into a nightmare for “Goose” as an inconclusive Covid test meant he couldn’t continue with race day! A huge disappointment for David and the team.
Tristan Purdan took the holeshot at the MX Open qualifying but a fall a few laps later saw Purdan drop a few places. Tristan ended qualifying in P22 going into the finals.
Tough conditions pushed Tristan into survival mode and managed to finish both races. Tristan finished Race 1 in P34-31 and P18th in Race 2.
Well done to Tristan, David and Camden, for making South Africa proud.
You can view our previous article HERE
To stay up to date with relative motorsport news at home or abroad, be sure to follow and like out social media platforms: