This weekend in motorsport – 17-18 April 2021
At the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari circuit rain made things challenging as drivers cued up for the start of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.
The race had its fair share of drama as a collision between Mercedes driver, Valtteri Bottas and Williams driver, George Russell caused a Red Flag and the racing having to be restarted, leaving both drivers out of the race.
An amazing restart from Max Verstappen saw the Dutchman hold the top spot from start to finish of the race.
A rare mistake by Lewis Hamilton saw the 7-time champion sitting in 8th position before the restart, after an amazing show of drivers skills, Hamilton managed to take the 2nd place on the Podium followed by Lando Norris in his McLaren.
This resulted in Verstappen close behind Hamilton in the points race with only 1 point separating them going into the Portuguese GP next month!
Results are as follows:
- Max Verstappen RED BULL RACING HONDA 2:02:34.598
- Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES +22.000s
- Lando Norris MCLAREN MERCEDES +23.702s
- Charles Leclerc FERRARI +25.579s
- Carlos Sainz FERRARI +27.036s
- Daniel Ricciardo MCLAREN MERCEDES +51.220s
- Pierre Gasly ALPHATAURI HONDA +52.818s
- Lance Stroll ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES +56.909s
- Esteban Ocon ALPINE RENAULT +65.704s
- Fernando Alonso ALPINE RENAULT +66.561s
- Sergio Perez RED BULL RACING HONDA +67.151s
- Yuki Tsunoda ALPHATAURI HONDA +73.184s
- Kimi Räikkönen ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI +94.773s
- Antonio Giovinazzi ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI +1 lap
- Sebastian Vettel ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES DNF
- Mick Schumacher HAAS FERRARI +2 laps
- Nikita Mazepin HAAS FERRARI +2 laps
NC Valtteri Bottas MERCEDES DNF
NC George Russell WILLIAMS MERCEDES DNF
NC Nicholas Latifi WILLIAMS MERCEDES DNF
The return of Marc Marquez!
After an emphatic race, Fabio Quartararo took the top spot at the end of the Portuguese GP, giving him the lead in the points race. A great ride from Suzuki rider Alex Rins came to an end as he crashed chasing down P1 with 7 laps to go.
8-time world champion, Marc Marquez started his first race since getting injured back in 2020 from 6th position but ultimately finished the race in 7th in front of his brother Alex.
South African (our very own) Brad Binder finished the race in an amazing 5th position one second behind Franco Morbidelli who came in 4th position.
Francesco Bagnaia and 2020 MotoGP champion Joan Mir took the 2nd and 3rd spot respectively.
Here are the results:
- Fabio Quartararo Monster Yamaha 41m 46.412s
- Francesco Bagnaia Ducati Team +4.809s
- Joan Mir Suzuki Ecstar +4.948s
- Franco Morbidelli Petronas Yamaha +5.127s
- Brad Binder Red Bull KTM +6.668s
- Aleix Espargaro Aprilia Gresini +8.885s
- Marc Marquez Repsol Honda +13.208s
- Alex Marquez LCR Honda +17.992s
- Enea Bastianini Avintia Ducati +22.369s
- Takaaki Nakagami LCR Honda +23.676s
- Maverick Viñales Monster Yamaha +23.761s
- Luca Marini Sky VR46 Avintia Ducati +29.660s
- Danilo Petrucci KTM Tech3 +29.836s
- Lorenzo Savadori Aprilia Gresini +38.941s
- Iker Lecuona KTM Tech3 +50.642s
- Miguel Oliveira Red Bull KTM +1 lap
DNF Johann Zarco Pramac Ducati DNF
DNF Alex Rins Suzuki Ecstar DNF
DNF Valentino Rossi Petronas Yamaha DNF
DNF Jack Miller Ducati Team DNF
DNF Pol Espargaro Repsol Honda DNF
To stay up to date with relative motorsport news at home or abroad, be sure to follow and like out social media platforms: